A new take on a southern classic.
• 2 Tbsp butter
• 1 Cup onion, sliced into 1/4" strips
• 1 Cup mushrooms, sliced 1/4"
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
• 12oz. medium shrimp, peeled & deveined (for a non-seafood alternative, substitute 3 cups of cooked & diced chicken)
• 1 can Serious Bean Co. Jalapeño & Bacon Beans
• 1/2 Cup milk, half & half or cream
• 4 servings grits, prepared according to package instructions
• 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, shredded
• 2 Tbsp green onions, sliced 1/4"
Heat a skillet over medium heat.
Add the butter, onions, and mushrooms to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
Cook for 2 minutes, stirring as needed, then add the garlic and cook another 1 minute or until softened.
Add the shrimp (or chicken) and beans to the skillet then stir.
Using a spoon, smash approximately 1/4 cup of the beans into the bottom of the skillet to form a paste.
Add the milk (or cream) to the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Simmer and stir until the shrimp (or chicken) is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. The starch from the smashed beans will dissolve into the milk and thicken into a sauce.
Place the prepared grits into bowls.
Divide the shrimp (or chicken) and bean mixture evenly over the grits.
Garnish each bowl with Parmesan and green onions.
Yield: 3-4 servings depending on size